VST Data Processing
VST data processing status:
- Commissioning (16 Aug 2011 - 14 Oct 2011)
- P88 (15 Oct 2011 - 31 Mar 2012)
- P89 (1 Apr 2012 - 30 Sep 2012)
- P90 (1 Oct 2012 - 31 Mar 2013)
- P91 (1st Apr 2013 - 30th Sep 2013)
Rice image compression
CASU is using lossless Rice tile compression to store both the raw and reduced data. Rice compression is supported by CFITSIO and by DS9 (starting from version 5). You can use funpack to uncompress the images.
VST has very low astrometric field distortion hence CASU is using a Tangent Plane projection (TAN) to encode the WCS astrometric calibration in the FITS headers.